Counselling & psychotherapy in North Somerset & Bristol
Counselling for individuals and couples
Supervision for professionals
Face-to-face, telephone and online
Counselling, psychotherapy and sex therapy in North Somerset, Bristol and online
Welcome to my counselling, psychotherapy and couples therapy practice based in North Somerset (Backwell and Nailsea) and Bristol (South and Central). I’ve been involved in the therapy profession for 20 years, and I am registered and accredited as a counsellor/psychotherapist with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I studied psychology as part of my graduate degree and undertook my initial therapy training at the University of Cambridge.
You can find further details about me by clicking the About page.
- counselling and psychotherapy
- WalkTalk therapy
- couples and relationship therapy (including sex therapy, and sexual and porn addiction recovery)
- supervision for other professionals.
- face to face
- online (via secure video chat platforms)
- on the telephone
- while walking in appropriate rural and urban settings.
Types and modalities of therapy – it’s all in the relationship
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) currently gives some explanation for 29 types of psychotherapy and The BACP currently lists 30 types of therapy that are commonly offered in the UK (lists last accessed on 19/9/19).
Thankfully, in practice, you don’t have to understand all of these modalities, labels and jargon, since the fact is that no one theoretical approach has been proven to work better than all the others. What we do know, though, is that the relationship you develop in the therapy space can have a major influence on the effective outcome of a therapeutic treatment (Lambert and Barley, 2001). Put simply, therapy works well with someone you feel comfortable with. Having said this, there are certain specific skills based approaches like EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) that have a proven high success outcome for treating specific issues like PTSD.
- dealing with depression, rumination and self-blame
- stress and anxiety and psychosomatic disorders
- relationship issues (including childlessness)
- sexual problems such as low sex drive (loss of libido) or erectile dysfunction (ED)
- past traumas (including abuse)
- meaning in mid-life and other existential concerns
- low self-confidence and negative life events
- difficulties around sexuality and gender
- digital addictions (including sex and porn addictions)
- other issues concerning personal development, fulfilment, and
searching for meaning and direction in life.
Making an informed choice
With so many different types of counselling/psychotherapy on offer in Bristol and North Somerset, making the right choice might seem difficult.
All counselling and psychotherapy sessions should offer you a safe, ethical and confidential encounter with a counsellor/psychotherapist who has undertaken a training involving both academic and practical elements plus the appropriate supervision to support that training.
In the UK, counselling and psychotherapy are not regulated occupations. While this benefits its diversity, it also means you need to check that a therapist is suitably qualified to work with you. You should have no hesitation in asking for information about a therapist’s training background, if you need to, when considering them.
You can find out more about my in-depth training and therapy route on my About page. You can also check my accreditation and registration status from the bottom of this page.
If you go to the Therapies section of this website you can view the pages for Individual Therapy, Couples Counselling, Sex Therapy and Online work as well as WalkTalk and Porn Recovery. This site will also let you read detailed information on the different services I offer in counselling, psychotherapy and coaching, and get a bit more of an idea of the professional, friendly and inclusive way I work. If you have any specific requirements or would like more information once you’ve had a read, then do please get in contact with me. You can read more detailed information about my work with couples on my separate website Therapy Place Couples.
I know it can feel like a big deal to make the first step into counselling and psychotherapy, but I’ll do my best to help you feel comfortable right from your first contact with me.
I currently offer:
- a location-based general practice – Therapy Place Bristol
- a face-to-face couples service – (based in North Somerset and Bristol)
- Walk and Talk therapy – which takes place during the spring, summer and late autumn seasons. Starting points are in Bristol (BS1 5JS) and North Somerset (BS48 1TN). Click for more information.
You can check my registration and accreditation through the BACP
Therapy Place Bristol is the website for Duncan E. Stafford MBACP registered and accredited. My serivce offers face-to-face and online counselling, psychotherapy, sex-therapy, walktalk therapy and supervision for people of all genders. I work as a counsellor and psychotherapist with men and women all over the UK and face-to-face in Bristol (BS1 & BS9), North Somerset (BS48) Nailsea and Backwell (BS48). People from Bristol, Long Ashton, Backwell, Wraxall, Nailsea, Congresbury, Cleeve, Yatton, Clevedon, Portishead and Barrow Gurney, will find my practice easy to travel to. This page was last updated on 30 Sep 2019